The Women's Executive Council is aligning with the social distancing request and is suspending all in-person events until further notice. We look forward to gathering together soon. In the meantime, do things that safely bring you joy. For up to date information on Covid19, log on to the CDC website.
January 13, 2021
S is for S Speaker. S is for Surthiver®. S is for Secily....a Two - Time Stroke Survivor, Bestselling Author, Award-Winning Broadcaster, Motivational Speaker and Philanthropist.
She’s had it all, lost it all and bounced back stronger! There’s little veteran broadcast journalist, Secily Wilson hasn’t survived. Two strokes didn’t stop her. Divorce didn’t derail her. She lost her job, and found her passion. She is a woman who overcomes through sheer willpower and continues to thrive! Secily leads powerfully using her voice to inspire and influence the world!
Over the years Secily has interviewed notables like Civil Rights icon Andrew Young, Super Bowl coach Tony Dungy and President Obama’s spiritual advisor Dr. Joel Hunter. Her infectious personality gave a boost to the ratings of television game show Family Feud. Secily’s appearance on the show was enough to bring show host and king of comedy, Steve Harvey, to his knees and turned her into a viral sensation garnering over 2 million YouTube views and national press. It led to the title of her bestselling book: “She Said the P Word”. Secily is admired and respected by colleagues, community leaders, and viewers. She is a sought - after keynote speaker, mistress of ceremonies and facilitator. Secily has the ability to connect with viewers, listeners and fans alike. She has a commanding presence and the ability to light up a room without saying a word. Her transparency allows others to see that beyond the makeup, cameras and name recognition she is relatable and authentic.
She is often asked, “How did you go from broadcast news to the nonprofit sector?” Her answer is simple. “The transition wasn’t a choice. Sometimes you are pushed in your purpose.
After experiencing a series of unexpected life adversities, my life quickly fell apart. One of my favorite quotes is, “In order to find yourself, you must lose yourself in the service of others.” The philanthropic bug bit me. My gifts gave me the opportunity to merge my profession with my passion; “Service above self.”
Secily is the founder of WOW Legacy Group, a growing Central Florida non profit with a mission to Empower, Educate, Inspire and Transform the lives of women facing life adversity. Her philanthropic work is done through the organization's Fall into Fabulous empowerment program. She's also an award winning broadcast journalist, media communications professional, Mrs. Florida International 1999. Secily says her greatest role is being Mommy to her daughter's Chrissy and Nicole. She's even more proud of her newest title - Gina to her granddaughter, Amari Elizabeth. Secily is an active member of the Lake Buena Vista Rotary Club, the National Association of Black Journalists, and American Heart Association Circle of Red. Secily volunteers with a variety of organizations throughout the region, including advocating for domestic violence and stroke awareness.
Women's Executive Council Sisters
As the world has been impacted by COVID-19 and our normal monthly luncheons have been replaced with online meetings, the need in our community for scholarships still remains strong. Central to the core mission of the Women's Executive Council, we believe in education and every year since 1987 we have provided scholarships to women in our community. This year is no exception. Now more than ever, WEC is committed to continuing to help those in need.
One way that we can do that is to donate the amount of money you would normally spend on our luncheons directly to our scholarship fund. Please do this by clicking the DONATE NOW button. Thank you.
SAVE THE DATE 2021
- February 10: Elisha González, Vice President, Government Affairs & Community Relations | FAIRWINDS Foundation
- March 10: Tanya Counter, Vice President of General Commerical | Salesforce
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- July 14
- August 11
- September 8
- October 13
- November 10
- December Holiday Party
SPEAKERS IN 2020
- Amanda Douglas, Chief Executive Officer | Celebration Title Group
- Stacy Nadeau, Speaker Consultant, Coach | Women Empowerment Ambassador
- Frances Rios, Chief Executive Officer | Women Who Lead, LLC
- Peggy Hoyt, Attorney, Author, Speaker | The Law Offices of Hoyt & Bryant, LLC
- Mayor Buddy Dyer | City of Orlando
- Mary Pigatti | Chief Executive Officer | eMindful
- WEC Panel Discussion
- Catherine A Ni, Director, Advanced Rotary Wing & Ground Systems | Lockheed Martin - Missiles & Fire Control
- Pamela Landwirth, Chief Financial Officer | Give Kids the World
- LaVon Bracy, EdD, Advocate for Social Justice & CoFounder | New Covenant Baptist Church of Orlando
- Romie Mushtaq, MD, ABIHM, Chief Wellness Officer | Evolution Hospitality
SPEAKERS IN 2019
- Heatherann Antonacci | 2018 Women's Achievement Awards Education Honoree, former President, Herzing University
- Cornita A. Riley | Retired, Chief Orange County Corrections, 2016 Women's Achievement Awards Central Florida Woman of the Year
- Kirsten B. Carter, MD | Internal Medicine Physician, Grace Medical Home
- Secily Wilson, | WOW Legacy; Shanta Barton Stubbs, PhD, MA, LMHC | New Image Youth Center; Deanna Snyder, RN | Be Well Essentials
- Karen Willis | Chief Executive Officer, Early Learning Coalition of Orange County
- Deborah Barra | Chief Assistant State Attorney, Ninth Judicial Circuit Office of the State Attorney's Office
- Kelly Lafferman | Chief Marketing Officer & Principal, Findsome & Winmore
- Bernadette Spong | Chief Financial Officer, Orlando Health
- Roseann Harrington, Chief of Staff | Orange County Government
SPEAKERS IN 2018
- Eryka Washington | Ninth Judicial Circuit Office of the State Attorney's Office
- Secily Wilson | The WOW Legacy Group, LLC
- Sharon Spano, PhD | Business Strategist, Author & Professional Integral Coach
- Robin Maynard-Harris | Founder, Libby's Legacy Breast Cancer Foundation
- Jill Bolander Cohen | Founder, The Lifeboat Project
- Jennifer Foster | Owner & Executive Producer, Foster Productions & Co-Founder, One Orlando Alliance
- Karla Radka | Chief Operating Officer, Goodwill Industries of Central Florida
- Pamela (Sissi) Carroll, EdD | Dean, UCF College of Education and Human Performance
- Peg Cornwell | Associate to the President for College & Community Relations & Micki Meyer | Lord Family Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs & Community, Rollins College
Aida Lublin | Owner, Brightway Insurance, The Lublin Agency
SPEAKERS IN 2017
- Cyndia Morales Muñiz, EdD, Assistant Director of Multicultural Academic & Support Services | University of Central Florida
- Kari Conley, Director, Community Relations | Orlando Health
- Diane O'Dell, President of Community & Diversity Relations & Executive Director of the Foundation | Universal Orlando
- Maryann Barry, CEO | Girl Scouts of Citrus
- Lieutenant General Mark Hertling, Retired Army, Senior Vice President, Global Partnering, Leadership Development & Health Performance Strategies | Florida Hospital
- Michelle Brady Palmer, Manager, Community Engagement | SeaWorld Parks & Resorts Orlando
- Barbara Jenkins, EdD, Superintendent | Orange County Public Schools
- Joie Cadle, Elected Board Member, Orange County Public Schools, 2017 WEC Woman of the Year